Grant Scope and Budget Modifications
Subrecipients must obtain prior written approval from CVAD for any change in program narrative or scope of services. Program and budget revisions are not automatic. Budget revisions may be considered for minor changes from what was originally submitted and approved in the grant application. Budget revisions are requested by outlining how much a grantee is asking to move, from one budget line item (payroll, benefits, travel, communications, etc.) to another, why the funds are available to move and how will this impact the goals/objectives outlined in the grant application (grant scope revision). Please do a budget revision request in the correspondence section of IowaGrants.gov. See Chapter XIX-Grant Scope and/or Budget Modifications.
The following budget items must be approved prior to changes by the grantee:
- Salary adjustments – (including grant funded staff percentages and salary changes) Funds may not be moved into or out of the Salaries, Benefits & Taxes line item without prior approval.
- Staffing Changes – if a position is added or deleted from the budget
- Capital Purchases
- Equipment & Sensitive Minor Equipment – see Chapter XII: Property and Equipment of the CVAD Administrative Grant Manual for further details
- Clothing and/or Uniforms (Exception: Emergency clothing for victims/clients does not require prior approval.)
- Meeting room/audio visual services
- Indirect Cost – Funds may not be moved into or out of Indirect Costs without prior approval. The request must be accompanied by a copy of the agency’s approved indirect cost rate or approved Cost Allocation Plan, which includes an indirect rate. Typically, the indirect cost rate approved through the grant application process is the rate that will be honored throughout the project period (typically three years). CVAD has the discretion to decline to honor an increased rate if CVAD determines the new rate significantly diminishes the ability of the program to carry out the project service goals and objectives. An increased rate will not result in an increased CVAD award amount.
NOTE: THIS LIST IS NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE. For further clarification, subrecipients should check the specific fund source in Chapter XXV: CVAD Fund Sources for additional allowable and unallowable costs.
Visit the DOJ Grants Financial Guide – Allowable Costs for additional information.