Victim Services Support Program
The Victim Services Support Program administers grant funds that provide partial funding to local and statewide crime victim service programs in Iowa.
- Federal Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) Victim Assistance funds are awarded by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime. The funds come entirely from fines and penalties assessed against convicted federal criminals.
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA or VW) funds are awarded by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women. Congress appropriates the funds annually.
- Federal Family Violence Prevention & Services Act Grant (FVP&SA) funds are awarded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Community Services, Administration for Children and Families. Congress appropriates the funds annually.
- Federal Sexual Abuse Services Program (SASP) funds are awarded by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women. Congress appropriates the funds annually.
- Iowa’s Domestic Abuse (DA) and Sexual Abuse (SA) funds are appropriated by the Iowa General Assembly annually.
Grant Application and Review Process
When grant funds become available from the state or federal government funding information is distributed through the IowGrants.gov website. You can find out more information about available funding and how to submit an application by clicking on the State of Iowa's Grants Management System at the following link.
The submitted proposals are reviewed and evaluated by a volunteer grant review committee. The committee is made up of persons with expertise in victim services, grant management, and public policy.
The review committee and CVAD staff submit their recommendations for funding to the Crime Victim Assistance Board. The Board determines final grant awards to the extent funds are available and to the extent the applicants meet eligibility criteria.
Click here for more information on grant eligibility, required grant certificates, and required grant reports.
Click here for administrative rules governing the VSS Program.
Office of the Attorney General of Iowa
Crime Victim Assistance Division
Lucas State Office Building
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
For more information contact Victim Services Support Program Administrator Donna Phillips.