Iowa Victim Information & Notification Everyday (IowaVINE)
Iowa Victim Information & Notification Everyday (IowaVINE) is a free and anonymous telephone service that provides victims of crime two important features: information and notification.
Across the state, crime victims and other concerned parties use IowaVINE for access to timely and reliable information about the custody status of an offender. Victims can receive automated notification by telephone, the Internet, or email 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. By telephone, victims can always contact a live operator who is trained in victim services.
How To Register
To register for IowaVINE notifications click here.
DO NOT depend solely on IowaVINE for protection from the offender. If you feel you may be at risk, contact your local law enforcement agency or your local victim service program for immediate support.
- IowaVINE is a crime victim information and notification system that tracks criminals who have been arrested by law enforcement or convicted by the justice system. The service uses computer and telephone technology to automatically notify crime victims and interested parties about changes in an offender’s custody status. IowaVINE provides information about an offender’s apprehension, transfer, release, escape, or death.
- IowaVINE is a free, 24-hour, confidential, computer-based service that provides crime victim information and notification via telephone and/or computer and/or text message.
- IowaVINE is anonymous. The offender will not know you are registered with IowaVINE.
- IowaVINE was created to provide information, notification, and peace of mind for crime victims.
- IowaVINE is also available to anyone who seeks public information about the custody and location of an offender.
- IowaVINE is funded by the Statewide Automated Victim Information (SAVIN) grant program operated by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Assistance, and by the Compensation Fund, a fund comprised entirely of fines and penalties paid by convicted criminals.
How Does IowaVINE Provide Notifications?
You can register your telephone number and/or email address with IowaVINE. To register your phone number, call the IowaVINE toll-free line at 1-888-7-IAVINE, or go to www.vinelink.com. If you wish to register your email address, you must go to www.vinelink.com.
You may register to receive notification on multiple phone numbers, including a cell phone. You will choose a personal identification number (PIN) for telephone notification. When IowaVINE calls the phone number(s) that you provide, you must enter your PIN to confirm that you have received the notification. IowaVINE will continue calling you until you enter your PIN, or until 48 hours have passed (have your PIN available so you can stop the notification calls). If the call is answered by voice mail or a machine, IowaVINE will leave a message and continue calling every two hours until you enter your PIN or until 48 hours have passed.
How Else Can I Get Information from IowaVINE?
You can call IowaVINE at 1-888-7-IAVINE (1-888-742-8463) and receive information through an automated information system or you can call that number then press zero to speak with a trained IowaVINE operator. You can go to www.vinelink.com to get offender custody status and location information online.
Update Registration Information vs. Re-Registration
If your phone number or email address changes, remember to update your registration information. You can update your registration information by visiting www.vinelink.com and clicking on “Update Registration” (do not re-register with your new information). If you change phone numbers, please delete your former phone number from the IowaVINE system.
An offender in a county jail will receive a new identification number if transferred to an Iowa Department of Corrections prison or another county jail. You must reregister with IowaVINE once the offender is moved to a different or new facility. The IowaVINE system will guide you through the re-registration process.
To view a VINE tutorial video, click here.
Click here to see an IowaVINE statewide status map. The IowaVINE operational status of each county jail is displayed on the map.
Click here to display and print an IowaVINE fact sheet.
Click here to display a quick reference guide on how to register for IowaVINE.
Click for a sample IowaVINE Brochure in English or Spanish. To order brochures, email CVAD info.
Click button on left to register for IowaVINE or for custody status updates.
Iowa's Victim Rights Law
Iowa Code section 915.16 provides that a county sheriff or other person in charge of the local jail or detention facility shall notify a registered victim of the following:
- The offender’s release from custody on bail and the terms or conditions of the release.
- The offender’s final release from local custody.
- The offender’s escape from custody.
- The offender’s transfer from local custody to custody in another locality.
Office of the Attorney General of Iowa
Crime Victim Assistance Division
Lucas State Office Building
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
Email: Victim Rights Coordinator: Joe Campos