Skip to main content
Iowa Attorney General
Main Content

Non-Profit Abuse Complaints

Charitable or non-profit abuse occurs when a charitable or non-profit organization engages in any type of illegal or unethical conduct involving finances or other components of the organization’s operations.

If you believe that the activities or operations of a tax-exempt organization are inconsistent with its tax-exempt status, you may file a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General of Iowa, and/or the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (see below for information about the appropriate IRS complaint form).  You can submit a non-profit abuse complaint with the Office of the Attorney General through an online complaint form or can download a form to print and mail.

Criminal Activity?

If there is a suspicion of criminal behavior or misconduct by or within a non-profit organization, a report should be made to local law enforcement or the appropriate county attorney.

IRS Tax-Exempt Organization Complaint

To file a complaint with the Internal Revenue Service: Complete Form 13909, Tax-Exempt Organization Complaint (Referral) Form, available through the Exempt Organizations Division of the Internal Revenue Service, or call 1-800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).




888-777-4590 (outside of the Des Moines metro area)




Office of the Attorney General of Iowa
Consumer Protection Division
Hoover State Office Building
1305 E. Walnut Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0106

Quick Exit
© 2024 State of Iowa Office of the Attorney General. All rights reserved.