Reporting Elder Abuse
How do I make an elder abuse report?
- If you think that an older adult is in immediate, life-threatening danger, dial 911.
- If you suspect that an older adult is being mistreated, contact the Iowa Department of Human Services Dependent Adult Abuse hotline at 1-800-362-2178, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- If suspected dependent adult abuse is occurring in a health-related facility, contact the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals Nursing Home and Home Health Complaint Hotline at 1-877-686-0027 or email email@example.com.
- If you have concerns about your quality of care, quality of life or rights as a resident/tenant, or if you have concerns on behalf of your loved one who is living in one of Iowa's long-term care facilities, contact the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman at 1-866-236-1430.
- For a coordinated entry point to Iowa’s information and referral resources regarding long-term independent living, contact LifeLong Links online or call 1-866-468-7887.
888-777-4590 (outside of the Des Moines metro area)
Office of the Attorney General of Iowa
Consumer Protection Division
Hoover State Office Building
1305 E. Walnut Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0106